As Good As It Gets
I recently got back in to metal detecting after a lot of years since I last owned a metal detector.
I always enjoyed owning and using a metal detector for checking out places where people gathered in the past, like locations of old time fairs, baseball diamonds, or just about anywhere people got together for whatever the reason, and then left things behind that they lost or misplaced like old silver coins, gold rings, and anything else made from metal.
Probably my all time favorite places to visit for metal detecting are ghost towns and old homesteads searching for relics.
Anyway I'm getting away from where I was going with this review of my latest acquisition, and its not the Minelab X-TERRA 705 metal detector that I have been using while searching out things of interest to me, but its about having recently acquired and replaced the original aluminum shaft that came with the my Minelab metal detector for a aftermarket shaft made by Anderson shaft, the makers of carbon fiber shafts.
After making the switch-over and using my new hybrid Minelab/Anderson detector, I must say I am impressed, not only with the looks and feel, but how much lighter it has made my detector.
The quality of this carbon fiber shaft with the optional carbon fiber foot that the search coil attaches to is wonderful.
Now having said that, I am somewhat critical of the way that Anderson provides for mounting the control head on to the new aluminum handle/carbon fiber shaft assembly.
Anderson provided a composite spacer that slides in place over the stub shaft part of the Minelab detector head that is then inserted in place in the aluminum Anderson handle.
Yes it works, but in actuality the Minelab control head is not as rigidly mounted once switched over to the Anderson handle as it was when mounted on the Minelab aluminum handle shaft assembly.
The reason is the fact that the adapter that Minelab uses is left behind in the Minelab handle when you do the change-over to the Anderson handle.
The Minelab adapter I am referring to can be seen in the photo just below the control head and above the foam grip of the Anderson handle.
Not thrilled with the look of the Minelab control head once I did the switch over, and the fact the control head was now more vulnerable to damage by a hard knock from being dropped or some other possibility without the support of the Minelab control head adapter, I decided to take a closer look at the Minelab adapter, and upon examination I realized that it was removable from the original Minelab handle by the removal of 2 screws holding it in place.
With a vernier caliper I realzed that this adapter was almost the same diameter as the sleeve provided by Anderson.
The only real difference were the ribs molded in place on the Minelab adapter.
After taking a few quick measurements of the two adapters, I realized it was as simple as removing the ribs from the Minelab adapter with the use of a razor knife, and filing the contour of the stub shaft smooth untill it was the duplicate size of the Anderson adapter sleeve.
At that point I slid it back in place where it belonged on the Minelab control head post, and slid the control head in place in the Anderson handle.
Perfect! With the lock screw in place and the foam handle back in place as seen in the photo, I am now very happy with my new Minelab/Anderson metal detector.
Click on the photo for a closer look.....
Metal detecting an old homestead.....