Stationary Mobile Field Operations
For some time I have been building the antennas that I required for the bands that I wished to work while operating as a stationary mobile.
I finally got them all built as seen here, and after spending time over the past weeks and months, I have them all operating as they were designed to.
Of course I built some of the antennas pictured here over the past several years, and they have been used on Field Day, as well as out in the field while camping or for whatever the reasons.
Still, the idea was after I purchased the Max-Gain Systems MK-4-HD fiberglass push-up-mast, was to populate it with antennas that I would build as I went forward.
So back to the photo and what is going on.
With the aluminum mast adapter hitch insert installed in place, and the Max-Gain Systems mast assembly installed upon the hitch adapter, the next step is to install the antennas as seen here.
The antenna that is situated at the very top of the mast is the 1/2 wave Inverted U dipole built to cover 10-20 meters.
Installed next in line below the Inverted U is the LPDA (log periodic dipole array) built to operate on the bands of 2 meters, 1 1/4 meters, and 3/4 meters.
The antenna situated below the LPDA is the 6 meter DXing Halo built especially for the SSB segment of the band.
Of course we cannot forget the gearmotor antenna positioned to the left of the main antenna array, and it covers 10-80 meters. although on this day, and with the high performance braid covered fiberglass whip with included cap-hat, the antenna is actually covering 17-80 meters, although the plan was to use it on 30, 40, and 80 meters.
The two additional antennas consist of the two Larson antennas located at either corner of my mobile, the front Larson a 2/70K, and the rear one Larsen 150 being used with my VE6AB-8 APRS weather station on this day.
Up front in the cab of my mobile, and positioned in my radio stack and on the console are the transceivers required for the antennas being used to operate with.
They consist of the Kenwood TS-480HX transceiver, the TM-D710A VHF/UHF transceiver, and the TYT TH-9000 220 Mhz transceiver.
On this day because of the extra antennas in play, I also had my Yaesu FT-897D sitting on the console and connected to the Inverted U, and to the LPDA.
Here is a view of the operating console on this day.....
Located in the cargo bay is the VE6AB-8 APRS weather station consisting of a Argent Cable ADS-WS1 electronics module, the Argent Cable OT3m module, and a Yaesu VX-170 transceiver.
Because I don't always operate the APRS weather station, the sensor array has been modified for mag-mounting, making it simple to place on the roof when operating the APRS weather station. When the weather station is shut down, the sensor array is stored in the cargo bay where the weather station electronics package is located.
With the HF bands in reasonable shape on this day, I enjoyed making numerous contacts, and proofing the newer antennas.
You may have paid attention to, the fact that my antennas are all mounted in close proximity to the push-up-mast they are mounted on.
This is because the Max-Gain Systems push-up antenna mast is built from fiberglass, and has no detrimental effect on the antennas like a metal mast would have.
This particular model is their MK-4-HD 25 foot model, and although taller is better, in my case I did not want to have to guy the mast in place, although I allowed for that with guy rings that I built and have installed in several places on the mast.
Over the past two years that I have owned this mast, and having operated with some serious wind blowing, I have not had the need to guy the mast.
The Max-Gain Systems mast assemblies come in longer lengths if you have the need, but of course they become less stable with heavier antennas mounted in place, and the wind blowing against them, thus requiring guying on a lot of days, something to keep in mind when you purchase a portable mast for operating temporarily in the field.
A look with the mast collapsed......
Click on the photo for a closer look.....