Latest Skunk Works Project
As my interest in recording nature sounds moves forward, I came to realize that I wanted a set of stereo mics that I could place separately from the mics built in to my field recorder.
I then set out to purchase a set of stereo mics, and discovered that a different approach to accomplish this would be in building my own stereo mics.
After researching the subject of quality stereo mic elements and based on my research, I found a source for the mic elements that will give me what I'm looking for when it comes to recording in nature, and the sound that I desire in my recordings.
I am waiting patiently for the parts that I ordered on line, consisting of the mic elements, the housings, various fittings, shielded cables, and dead-cats for the mics, to arrive from a supplier located in the UK.
While I wait for the parts to arrive, I have spent time in my workshop building a mount for the mic assemblies to mount on.
The mount consists of a black Delrin center hub that I turned to size in the lathe, then with the hub placed in the indexing head and mounted on the milling machine table, With a precision to size slot-drill, I drilled two 3/8ths OD holes in this hub precisely 110 degrees apart,
I then cut two carbon fiber tubes with a 3/8ths OD to length, that the mics will be fastened to, needed to space the mics 170mm apart forming an included angle of 110 degrees.
I then inserted the carbon fiber tubes in place on the Delrin hub for the mic assemblies to mount to once I have all the parts to assemble the mics.
Once I receive the mic parts, and with the mics assembled and mounted in place, and with the complete assembly mounted on a "Rycote" shock mount that in turn is mounted on a dedicated tripod, I'll be good to go.
Meanwhile, while I wait for all the parts to come together, I'm having fun while out in the wilds of the Kananaskis.
Photos of the completed project coming.
Click on the photo for a closer look.....